Serampore College was founded in 1818 by three British missionaries, and continues to this day as an educational institution teaching Arts, Sciences and Theology. Serampore (Srirampur) is located north of Kolkata on the west bank of the Hooghly River. In 1818 it was a Danish colony but was sold to the British in 1845. (Carey, a Baptist, had been banned from preaching in British-controlled areas where the Church of England held sway.)
The West Bengal Heritage Commission‘s restoration of historic buildings in the area is supported by the National Museum of Denmark’s Serampore Initiative. A newspaper report in 2015, though, suggested the Commission had been inactive for over a year.
Licensed under a CC-BY-NC-SA creative commons licence.