I’m a regular contributor to radio programmes and was an AHRC/BBC New Generation Thinker in 2015.
My latest broadcasts for BBC Radio 3 are:
- COMING UP: A Sunday Feature on Monteverdi’s Women for Radio 3’s Monteverdi 450 season, 14 May 2017. Listen here.
- COMING UP: I’m presenting a Free Thinking discussion on Women’s Voices in the Classical World at the Hay Festival on Monday 29 May (broadcast Tuesday 30th, 10pm). Book tickets here.
- An Essay on my family history in 1940s Dhaka and Kolkata, recorded at the Free Thinking Festival in Gateshead, broadcast March 2017. Listen here.
- An episode of Free Thinking on Machiavelli’s The Prince, broadcast March 2017. Listen here.
- An Essay on Renaissance gun culture, broadcast January 2017. Listen here.
My radio essay The Moor of Florence: A Medici Mystery was recorded at the BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival and broadcast on Monday 9 November 2015. It previewed the research behind the Alessandro book.
I also talked about this research on Radio 4’s Start the Week in a discussion of poetry, race, history and implicit bias with Claudia Rankine, Amir Darwish and Jules Holroyd recorded at the Free Thinking Festival (November 2015).
I was a historical adviser on the 2015 TV show Wolf Hall (BBC2/Company Pictures). Read more here.
At the Hay Festival 2015 I talked about Cardinal Wolsey and the papal court, to mark the 500th anniversary of his promotion to the cardinalate, for a special edition of Radio 3’s Free Thinking.
Here are some of my other radio contributions:
- BBC Radio 3: Free Thinking, a review of the Artes Mundi prize show (October 2016).
- BBC Radio 3: Free Thinking, reviewing the Botticelli Reimagined show at the V&A (March 2016)
- BBC Radio 4: Making History, a mini essay on history and social media (February 2016)
- BBC Radio 4: In Our Time on the Medici (2013)
- BBC Radio 4: The Invention of Italy (2013)
- BBC Radio 4: In Our Time on the Borgias (2012)
- BBC Radio 4: Open Book, talking about my book Our Man in Rome (2012)
- BBC Radio 3: Night Waves, talking about my book Our Man in Rome (2012)